The gasifiers take advantage of the molecular dissociation, called pyrolysis, used to directly convert the organic materials present in the waste into gas, by heating, in the presence of small quantities of oxygen.
The processed materials are completely destroyed because their molecules are dissociated. This process allows, if compared with the direct burning, a number of significant advantages:
- increased fuel usability;
- use of relatively simple and tested technological solutions;
- higher energy efficiency;
- definitive Destruction of such waste;
- No contributions in special landfills;
- No harmful emissions;
- Production of steam and then of demineralized water from its condensation, with easy addition of saline charge additives for water purification;
- Possible production of Chemicals, primarily methanol, usable in automotive engines or sold on the market;
- Low visual impact.
The synthesis gas, even when of a low calorific value, once filtered and purified, can be used for the feeding of a cogenerator, thus enhancing the calorific value of the organic matrix used and can be contain costs simultaneously producing electrical and thermal energy, or it can be used for the production of reusable chemicals.
Furthermore, it is possible to obtain water, including drinking water, thermal energy and methane gas.